Cost:$25.00 – $40.00 per person
Duration:3h 30min – 6h
About this experience
Book multiple dates and receive a discount!
Book 5 and use clayclub5 for 5% off
Book 10 and use clayclub10 for 10% off.
If you’re interested in exploring ceramics beyond a beginner workshop or wheel-throwing course, and prefer working independently but enjoy the company of like-minded creatives, then Clay Club is the ideal space for you! You’ll have access to specialised equipment such as a pottery wheel, slab roller, and extruder without breaking the bank.
Join us every Monday and Tuesday evenings, and Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday during the daytime to utilise our materials and facilities while exchanging ideas, tips, and inspiration with the local ceramics community.
Please note that Clay Club sessions are solely for independent practice only. We kindly ask that there be no teaching or instructional activities during these sessions. Our aim is to offer a focused environment for each participant to explore their creativity and improve their skills through hands-on experience. Those needing instruction can book into one of our many workshops or courses.
CLAY CLUB IS SUITABLE FOR
- makers who can work independently
- those who have completed an introduction to ceramics workshop or a full term of wheel throwing within the last year
- people who want access to specialised equipment such as a slab roller, extruder and pottery wheels (and know how to use them)
- people wanting to make use of the glaze library at HMF
CLAY CLUB IS NOT SUITABLE FOR
- Those without a solid understanding of the ceramics process.
- Those with lots of questions or needing assistance (nothing wrong with that- we encourage you to book an introduction to ceramics workshop or try the wheel/wheel course where you can get a teacher’s guidance instead).
- Those wanting to make large items. Creations should fit within a shoebox.
Ceramics experience is a must.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Bring in your STONEWARE clay and glazes (you must be familiar with the clay), or use the excellent stoneware reclaim and a wide array of glazes at the studio for free. Or buy a 15kg bag of Bennett's stoneware from us. No Wild Clay allowed, commercial clays only.
- Create and decorate!
- Put your clay scraps and throwing water in our clay recycling tubs. Clean up after yourself and be ready to leave by closing time.
- Those who attend regularly can store their work on our shelves as it dries- if booked in for a one-off session, you must take it home at the end of the session and bring a tub to transport your creations.
- When your work is finished and thoroughly dried, ready to bisque, or has been bisqued, glazed and ready for a gloss firing, leave your items at the studio to go in the kiln.
WHAT MATERIALS/FACILITIES ARE AVAILABLE?
- stoneware reclaim
- large, clean workbench
- wedging table
- large clay extruder
- slab roller
- 8 Shimpo pottery wheels
- a library of pottery books for tips and inspiration
- an extensive range of underglazes
- a large range of studio-made dipping glazes. Check out our test tile wall!
- banding wheels and a large selection of tools
- a well-lit, spacious and comfortable space with a kitchenette
Terms & Conditions
- We do not offer teaching during Clay Club, but we are happy to chat, assist and answer questions where possible.
- Pieces made with reclaimed clay must fit inside a shoe box—no overly large amounts.
- Firing costs $10 per kilo (1kg minimum). Glaze cost for items made outside the studio $5 per kilo.
- The staff must note any additional items you use for payment at the end of your day in the studio.
- All equipment MUST be cleaned thoroughly after use.
- Please take care when using our equipment and tools. Breakages will incur a cost.
- Wear appropriate clothing and closed-toe shoes. Aprons are available.
- If using a pottery wheel, please bring a large towel for your lap.
- Make sure to leave your valuables at home. We cannot be held responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Please ensure your work area is clean before closing time.
- No clay down the kitchen sink! Use our clay wash system.
- Please be aware that the studio is busy with people working around you.
- Be respectful of others working in the studio and their work; no touching! Minimise noise, take phone calls outside and listen to music with headphones.
Teenagers aged 16 and over are welcome to enrol. They must be able to work independently. If you are registering a teenager, please inform us in the comment section when booking.
WORKSHOPS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE AND NON-TRANSFERABLE. PLEASE READ OUR Cancellation & Refund Policy. BY BOOKING A WORKSHOP, YOU AGREE TO THESE POLICIES.