Clay ClubWe're dedicating Monday's to all things clay!
Cost:$35.00 – $270.00 per person
About this experience
Term Two 2022 runs from May 2nd to June 20th except June 13th for the Queen's Birthday public holiday. Each session is two hours.
Do you have a taste for ceramics after an introductory workshop or wheel throwing course and want to continue your journey with clay?
Can you work independently but enjoy the social aspect of creating alongside likeminded people?
Would you like access to specialised equipment like a pottery wheel, slab roller and extruder without spending thousands of dollars?
Clay Club is the perfect next step from a full-assistance workshop to independent practice.
Every Monday night from, the studio is open to the local ceramics community, where you can use the wonderful materials and facilities here and share ideas, tips and inspiration amongst yourselves.
CLAY CLUB IS SUITABLE FOR
- makers who can work independently
- those who have completed an introduction to ceramics workshop or a full term of wheel throwing within the last year
- people who want access to specialised equipment such as a slab roller, extruder and pottery wheels (and know how to use them)
- people wanting to make use of the slip/underglaze/glaze library at HMF
CLAY CLUB IS NOT SUITABLE FOR
- people who do not have a solid understanding of the ceramics process just yet.
- people who have lots of questions and need assistance (nothing wrong with that- we would encourage you to book into an introduction to ceramics workshop or a try the wheel/wheel course where you can get a teacher’s guidance instead).
- those wanting to make large items. Creations must fit within a shoebox.
Ceramics experience is a must.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Bring in your own STONEWARE clay and glazes (you must be familiar with the clay) or use the wonderful stoneware reclaim and wide array of glazes at the studio for free.
- Create and decorate!
- Put your clay scraps and throwing water in our clay recycling tubs. Clean up after yourself and be ready to leave by 8.30pm
- Those who have enrolled in a full term will have a dedicated space to store their work as it dries- if booked in for a one-off session, you must take your work home at the end of the night.
- If your work is finished and completely dried, ready to bisque, or has been bisqued, glazed and is ready for a gloss firing, fill out a firing form and leave your items at the studio to go in the kiln
WHAT MATERIALS/FACILITIES ARE AVAILABLE?
- stoneware reclaim
- large, clean workbench
- wedging table
- 6 Shimpo pottery wheels
- a library of pottery books for tips and inspiration
- a large range of underglazes and slips
- 10 dipping glazes
- a well-lit, spacious and comfortable space with kitchenette
Terms & Conditions
- We do not offer teaching during Clay Club but we are happy to chat, assist and answer questions where we can.
- Pieces made must fit inside a shoe box. No overly large pieces.
- Firing costs $8 per kilo (1kg minimum).
- Any additional items you use must be noted by the staff for payment at the end of your day in the studio.
- All equipment MUST be cleaned thoroughly after use.
- Please take care when using our equipment and tools. Breakages will incur a cost.
- Wear appropriate clothing and closed toe shoes. Aprons are available.
- If using a pottery wheel please bring along a large towel for your lap.
- Do not leave your valuables unattended. We cannot be held responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Please ensure you are cleaned up before closing time (8:30pm).
- No clay down the sink! Use our clay wash system.
- Please be aware that the studio is a busy space with people working around you.
- Be respectful of others working in the studio and their work, no touching! Minimise noise, take phone calls outside and listen to music with headphones.
Teenagers are welcome to enrol. If you are enrolling a teenager please inform us in the comment section when booking.
WORKSHOPS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE AND NON-TRANSFERABLE. PLEASE READ OUR Cancellation & Refund Policy. BY BOOKING A WORKSHOP YOU AGREE TO THESE POLICIES.